Mastodon Version 4.0
Significant changes are coming, here's a guide to some of the most meaningful
During the upgrade our look and feel will be different while we accommodate the new user interface.
- Filter posts by language: when following a multi-lingual account, you can make it so only the language you understand lands on your home feed.
- Follow hashtags: just like following a person, you can now follow a topic
Filter individual posts: if a specific post makes it past your filters, you can filter the post by itself
Post translation: server providers will now have the option of using LibreTranslate or DeepL for translation service (no Welsh support as yet, sori)
Language preferences for trending statuses and links: previously, you could only see trends in your current language, for less popular languages that meant empty trends; now trends in your preferred languages are shown on top
- Language attribute for posts – will allow screen readers to understand what language each post is in. We understand many of you like to post bilingually, this is more for all of the other languages in use
- Support for uploading WebP, audio/vnd.wave, AVIF, and HEIC files.
- Update emojis to Twemoji 14.0: https://emojipedia.org/twitter/twemoji-14.0/
- Web UI changes: all users now able to see Web app logged-out, remote interactions now use a cut and paste mechanism
- Change label of publish button: Toot button will now be called Publish, in accordance with the larger Mastodon community wishes. Domain name and site name remain as-is
- Fixes: dozens of quality of life fixes to existing functionality
For a full look check out https://github.com/mastodon/mastodon/releases/tag/v4.0.0rc1